Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Donovan - Barabajagal (1969 Epic Records)




















That's right!!!  Mr. Mellow Yellow, Donovan.  This is an interesting Lp that I got from my Dad's old collection.  Donovan is most well known for his psychedelic pop hits; Mellow Yellow, Hurdy Gurdy Man, There Is A Mountain to name a few.  Barabajagal still has Donovan's whimsical stylings all over it (most notably I Love My Shirt & Pamela Jo), but it also has some pretty rockin' tracks.  The title track and Trudi feature The Jeff Beck Group as the rhythm section and both cuts don't disappoint.  Superlungs My Supergirl, Where Is She, and Happiness Runs all have beautiful melodies with a light airy feel.  I've had this record for awhile and still enjoy it every time I put it on. Here's a little taste... 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment